Most of us go through life solving our day-to-day problems without needing help to cope with our feelings. But sometimes, things can get out of hand. A severe illness, an accident or an emotional crisis can overwhelm us, at least temporarily, and suddenly we need help.
How do you know if you need help?
Sometimes the need for help is obvious, and getting it is as simple as phoning for an ambulance or a fire truck. At other times, it can be hard to admit help is needed. This is especially true when your emotions are involved. The problem may be anything from what to do about an aging parent to a serious emotional problem such as depression. Here are some of the reasons you may decide you need help:
- You find yourself feeling overwhelmed by feelings of anger or despair, and you cannot enjoy life anymore.
- You used to be healthy, but now you are always feeling a bit sick and you are missing more and more time from work.
- Your finances are out of control, and you are worried about being able to pay the next month’s rent.
- You cannot “get over” the death of someone you loved.
- There is too much conflict at home.
- You are drinking too much or having some other kind of drug problem.
- You are feeling suicidal.
How can you find help?
In addition to CMHA Central Region, here are a number of organizations you can turn to for help:
Mental Health Services and Supports:
- Southern Health Community Mental Health Services – 1-888-310-4593
Mental Health Education and Information:
- ADAM (Anxiety Disorders Association Of Manitoba) – 1-800-805-8885
- Manitoba Schizophrenia Society – 1-204-786-1616
- Manitoba Health Education Resource Centre – 1-866-997-9918
- Mood Disorders Association of Manitoba – 1-800-263-1460
- Farm and Rural Stress Line – 1-888-367-3276
- Kids Help Phone (24/7) – 1-800-668-6868
- Klinic Crisis Line (24/7) – 1-888-322-3019
- Manitoba Suicide Prevention & Support Line (24/7) – 1-877-435-7170
- Southern Health Crisis Line (24/7) – 1-866-588-1697
Abuse and Sexual Assault:
- Domestic Violence Crisis Line (24 Hour) – 1-877-977-0007
- Klinic Human Trafficking Hotline (24/7) – 1-844-333-2211
- Klinic Sexual Assault Crisis Line (24/7) – 1-888-292-7565
- Seniors Abuse Support Line (24/7) – 1-888-896-7183
Are you having an emergency?
If you are experiencing a mental health crisis and/or feel suicidal:
- Go to the nearest hospital
- Call 911
- Call the crisis line – toll free 24/7 at 1-866-588-1697