WHO WE ARE
Since 1918, The Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA) has been dedicated to promoting the mental health of all and supporting the resilience and recovery of people experiencing mental illness. One of oldest voluntary organizations in Canada, CMHA continues to provide direct service to more than 100,000 Canadians. The only organization that deals with all aspect’s mental health and mental illness, CMHA staff and volunteers (over 10,000) focus on accomplishing this mission in over 120 communities through advocacy, education, research and service. The Canadian Mental Health Association – Central Region has been providing direct service to community members in southern Manitoba for nearly 25 years and maintains a strong grassroots connection to the community it serves. By leveraging its adaptability and responding to key gaps in existing services, CMHA Central has experienced considerable growth and has become known for innovation and forward-thinking leadership.
Located in Portage la Prairie and reporting directly to the Executive Director, The Service Coordinator will work closely with community members to remediate housing instability issues, including offering mental health support and psychosocial rehabilitation. The successful candidate will play a key role in facilitating positive change in the lives of people who are experiencing mental illness.
The Service Coordinator is responsible for both support and administrative functions within the CMHA Central Region’s Community Housing and Support (CHS) program. The Service Coordinator will provide support to service recipients who are residing in the private rental market that allows them to choose, obtain, and keep appropriate housing in the community. They will provide general housing information and resources to members of the community seeking assistance to find or maintain appropriate housing. The Service Coordinator will also be responsible for administration of the Portable Housing Benefit (PHB) and provision of emergency housing in CMHA Central Region’s emergency suites.
- Skills and Attributes
- Must possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail is essential. Must be self-motivated, positive, and work well under pressure.
- Must be able to relate to service recipients, tenants, and community members in a professional manner.
- Post-secondary education preferred, with working knowledge of mental health or social services. Grade 12 diploma or equivalent may be considered based on additional experience.
- Demonstrated application of the principles of empowerment and recovery. Demonstrated application of the principles of psychosocial rehabilitation.
- Ability to facilitate successful skill acquisition through hands-on instruction. Thorough understanding of the Residential Tenancy Act and its application.
- Comprehensive knowledge of common mental health issues. Basic knowledge of mental health and community services in Portage la Prairie and surrounding areas.
- Effective time management and oral/written communication skills
- Willing to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work as part of an inter-professional team. Must possess or be willing to obtain certification in CPR and first aid.
- Must provide recent Criminal Record Check, Child Abuse Registry Check, and Adult Abuse Registry Check. Must possess a valid class 5 license and access to a vehicle with all-purpose insurance and $1,000,000 third party liability.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Microsoft Office software and Windows applications.
- Personal experience with mental health issues would be an asset.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to:
Theresa Zacharias, Administration
102 1st Street NW, Portage la Prairie, MB, R1N 1Y9
Closing Date: Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis until the position is filled.
CMHA Central promotes diversity and inclusion within the workplace and greater community. Applicants who are Indigenous, a visible, gender, or sexual minority, and/or living with a disability are all encouraged to self-declare. We would like to thank all who apply, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Thank you for your interest.